Thursday, March 17, 2016

A Moment With Gary Hart - Remember Him?



At this year’s Ireland Fund Gala in Washington DC, one of the highlights of the evening for me was a few moments with former Senator and presidential candidate Gary Hart.  

Think what you will about how he self-destructed in a very different political time and place, but my favorite line of his during his first try for the presidency during the Reagan years was this:  "Senator, what do you say to those who say you are too cerebral to be President?"  He quipped  "well, we've tried it the other way."

 I had never met him before; now white-haired and a face that could be now called craggy, but still handsome and very gracious.

Me:  “Senator, I wanted to share a little story with you.

Hart: Really?

Me:  I was a campaign coordinator for you in the 1984 primary in New Jersey –

Hart: Oh….(rolling his eyes in embarrassment, recalling his inopportune comments in the waning days of the campaign about being “stuck in New Jersey” – a primary he then lost).

Me:  No, wait, I forgive you!
 
Hart:  Thank you.

Me:  But wanted to let you know we worked hard for you.  I had campaign workers sleeping on my couch and living room floor, and I went door to door – nine months pregnant at the time!

Hart:  Imagine trying to campaign with no money in those days.

Me:  I know!  But also, we had Evelyn Lincoln (President Kennedy’s long-time secretary) to a campaign tea at my house for you.
 
Hart:  She was a lovely lady and I was so touched she wanted to campaign for me.

Me:  She loved you like she loved JFK.

Hart:  Well thank you for telling me this.

Me:  Enjoy your evening, Senator.



No comments:

Post a Comment