Thursday, December 8, 2016

It's Celebrity Worship.  That explains it.

It has taken me a year of slapping my forehead, trying to understand why Donald Trump could possibly be getting so much attention, so much adulation, so many votes by such a wide variety of average Americans.  Finally, I figured it out.   An acquaintance told me that Hillary thought having Beyonce and other celebrities appearing with her would help, and all it did was disgust him (a Trump voter).  Suddenly I knew.  Why didn't I think of it before?

Knowing that name recognition is the first rule of running for office; knowing that Oprah has often been mentioned as somehow who could run for office; knowing that Jesse Ventura was once elected a governor, Trump was bound to happen.  Those of us who are appalled should have seen it coming.
Celebrities are worshipped.

Millions of people leading ordinary, boring lives want to be friends with a celebrity.  Millions wants to be one.  And apparently, millions wanted one in the White House.  Why?  Because he was entertaining.  Because he was hilarious.  Because he was vulgar, like many of us.  Because, well, he was on TV.

Appalling.

No comments:

Post a Comment