Monday, May 16, 2016

NOT OFFENDED BY OFFENSIVE BEHAVIOR?





When I was a young office worker just out of school, I experienced what I have come to understand in 2016 would not be tolerated or excused.  In fact, it might be litigated.  It was sexual harrassment.  To me, it was just life.

I felt jealous when I learned that the married boss was having an affair with a coworker and then promoted her. I giggled when he passed my desk on the day before my wedding and said, "We should hang banners and balloons around your desk."  Me:  "Why?"  "Tomorrow's the grand opening!"  When I was leaving that job, I was called into the boss's office after my "confidential" exit interview with head of personnel.  He was in possession of all my comments, and he was furious.  He screamed at me:  "I never asked you to sit on that couch and...do things.  I could have, you know!  And you criticize me on your way out????" I burst into tears and apologized profusely.

His behavior was offensive.  I should have been offended.  I should have been outraged.  But.  I was young.

Now the New York Times does a front page story about Donald Trump's treatment of women.  I am not surprised at his crude behavior, but I do find it makes him look further unqualified for office in background and temperment. What I find more interesting is the backpedaling by one of the women quoted in the article.  The story describes her as a young model attending a party in Mar-a-Lago; Trump took her on a tour of the mansion and asked her to put on a bikini, then showed her off to other guests as a "Trump girl."  They began a dating relationship after that.  Today, she is angry that the Times portrayed this event in a negative light, part of a larger impression that Trump objectifies women.  She says, she was not offended by his behavior.

She should have been offended.  What I wish she had said today:  "I was young and impressionable and he paid attention to me.  It didn't occur to me to be offended.  In hindsight, his behavior was inappropriate."

No comments:

Post a Comment