Monday, April 25, 2016



LOVED This Book!

Here is a book for anyone experiencing that challenging life passage called parenthood, especially for those who are overparenting, overhovering, overpressuring, overscheduling, overwhelming your kids - yes, you know who you are.
This sometimes cranky political journalist and pundit has written a touching personal book about his relationship with his son Tyler, diagnosed at age 12 with Asperger's syndrome, a form of high-functioning autism.  It is honest, loving and contains some poignant lessons for all parents, not just those with kids with unique challenges.  Some of the best:  parent for today, not the future; make being different cool, and most of all, love the child you have; let go of the perfect fantasy child you imagined when he was born.  As Ron says, "Tyler isn't my idealized son, he is my ideal one."

I, too, have come to the same conclusion, having raised two children with challenges -- one with learning disabilities and mental illness, and the other with anxiety driven addictions.  I have written about my experience in my upcoming book, Swimming Lessons:  a mother's tale of navigating the mental illness tide.  An excerpt from my book on this issue of accepting and loving the gift that is your child:

Like any parent of any child, I take on each situation as best I can.  With a child who has special needs like this, I have to bear in mind that there are good times in between the hits.  I try, only sometimes successfully, to remember what a wise friend told me:  don’t miss the wonder and enjoyment of the child you have, while wishing for a child that doesn’t exist.


No comments:

Post a Comment