Monday, December 4, 2023

 2018




COLD WAR

In the dark night the baby came. Too early.

While a thick blanket of snow fell outside my window.

So tired and scared and alone

I stepped outside and closed the cabin door

At frozen daybreak.  Hurry, hurry hurry.


Surrounded by gray mountain quiet

My woolen cape covering both of us. 

Tiny girl wrapped in my arms,

Her pale skin shaded from icy sunlight.

Over hill and field, my boots crunching, crunching, crunching. 


Frozen feet found the unpaved road.

My nose numb and cheeks chapped from wind.

Gloved fingers stiff with cold and hope.

Then!  The clinic ahead in the valley,

Gray smoke climbing from its brick chimney.

My breath clouds coming faster, faster, faster. 

.

Too late, too late. too late!

No mercy; they could not help.

Carried her close to my heart. 

Wrapped in my cape.

Not enough to keep her 

Warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment